Henrietta Chew Buck, daughter of Thomas Buck V and Anne Richardson, was born on May 16, 1779. She died on Dec. 23, 1872 at the age of 93 and was buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, Front Royal, Virginia.
Henrietta Chew Buck and Spencer Neville Calmes were married on Apr. 27, 1797. Spencer Neville Calmes, son of William Waller Calmes and Lucy Neville, was born in 1771. He died in 1854 at the age of 83.
The Calmes and Buck families became linked in the 1700s and Calmes often appears as a middle or surname in Buck family history. Marquis Calmes I was a French Huguenot who came to America from England about 1695, his family having fled from France after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685. It appears highly probable that he came from the old, influential, and titled Huguenot family of that name in southern France, but positive proof of such connection is lacking. References to him in several historical writings as being a titled French Marquis likewise lack documentary verification. There is no doubt; however, that he was the progenitor of a large, influential, and illustrious family in America.
Spencer Neville Calmes and Henrietta Chew Buck had fifteen children:
- Annie Buck Calmes, born 1798; married William M. Coleman, 1821; died 1867
- William Waller Calmes, born 1800; married Susan H. Sterling, 1825; died 1836
- Lucy Neville Calmes, born 1802; married Augustus Wight, 1821
- Franklin Calmes (1803 – 1833)
- Miriam Calmes (1804 - 1805
- Juliette Calmes (1806 – 1820)
- Henrietta Calmes, born 1808; married Moses Rawlings, 1829
- Eliza Calmes, born 1809; married George W. Campbell, 1832; died 1833
- Marquis Lafayette Calmes, born 1811; married Margaret Pilcher, 1851; died 1858
- Spencer Neville Calmes was born in 1813. He died in 1831 at the age of 18
- Letitia Amelia Calmes, born 1816; married James H. Bristow, 1845
- Isaac Newton Calmes (1817 – 1857)
- Charles Henry Calmes (1819 – 1901)
- Augustus G. S. Calmes, born 1822; married Matilda E. Cromwell, 1852; died 1898
- Albert B. Calmes (1826 – 1857).