Monday, February 11, 2019

William Calmes Buck's Children: Charles Willis Buck (1835-1900) (continued)



Charles Willis Buck was
A Baptist minister, like his father.  He served as chaplain to various Alabama regiments during the Civil War, and later as pastor of a number of churches in central Alabama, his eleven children being born in eight different locations.  Most of his descendants reside (or did) in Alabama and Georgia.
                                         -- notes of Hubert Nelson Buck, 1965

Susan Croom Sparrow was a reigning belle of her day.  "A very lovely woman." - (Emma Virginia Buck)                              

Family lore is that C. W. Buck was a dentist.  His tombstone reads "Dr. C. W. Buck".  My dad remembers his father (C. L. Buck) saying that his grandfather pulled teeth.  Miriam Quarles remembered hearing that C. W. Buck developed procedures for "painless" dentistry.



Charles Willis Buck


Susan Croom Sparrow Buck

A letter from Charles Willis Buck to his wife during the Civil War.

Near 2hr Stewarts Div Hospital (Marietta, GA)
June 29, 1864

My Dear Precious Wife
I write again not because I have any news but because I know that you will wish to hear from me.  I wrote on Saturday and again on Sunday but this is Wednesday.  This morning as I was walking through town I saw a man whose face seemed familiar but I could not place him.  I went up to a gentleman who seemed to be acquainted with him and inquired his name and was told that it was Lewis Craig.  I called to him and after teasing him awhile as to myself I made myself known and you may be sure it was a pleasant meeting.  Lewis is the oldest living child of my mother’s sister Ann.  He and his brother Willis, Gid and myself were raised together and our attachment for sure awhile was as strong as brother’s love.   He informed us of the death of ….

(the back of the page was not available)

I consoled several and dressed some of their wounded.  We have been blessed in the last month of fighting as have lost only those killed in the present month, several wounded but none mortally.  I hope Pa and Silas write.  I must again say farewell for the moment.  Kiss my pretty boys for me and tell them Papa says “Howdy”.  Remember me kindly to all friends.  And for yourself my Darling, I send my heart it is ever missing you.  Sleeping or waking my dreams are ever of you and my heart responses only to one sweet face and name.  I sometimes feel that I can bear our separation no longer and must return to my Darling but then duty says “stop” and I obey.  Our meeting will be but sweeter for our long separation and I look forward to the day when in the mercy of God we shall be separated no more in life.  God grant that the day may be near when this dreadful war will be over and the poor soldier be permitted to return to his home again.  My God bless and protect you and our children.  May Angels watch over our family and may your life be as happy as my absence will allow.

Your Aff. Husband,
C. W. Buck




No comments: